Education and Training
ABIR looks for opportunities to educate students, future employees, policymakers and others about our industry and the contributions that insurance and reinsurance make to both the local and global economy.
In 2020, ABIR partnered with Bermuda College and St. John’s University, Maurice R. Greenberg School of Risk Management, Insurance & Actuarial Science to support the development of diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives to recruit the next generation of re/insurance leaders in Bermuda. Initiatives from the partnership include:
- A foundational re/insurance course at Bermuda College underwritten by ABIR. The course launched Spring 2021, with ABIR member executives, industry stakeholders and government leaders as guest lecturers. The course is open to Bermuda College students, local high school students, and the local community.
- Summer internship opportunities at Bermuda’s leading insurers and reinsurers.
- ABIR scholars’ educational opportunity for high-performing Bermudian students to complete their education in risk-management at St. John’s University. The re/insurers will assist students financially with scholarships to ensure any gaps in financial needs are met to fulfill their education before returning to Bermuda to work at ABIR companies.
ABIR members are committed to investing in the training and development of a vibrant, local workforce in Bermuda. Along with the internships, educational scholarships in Bermuda by ABIR members totaled over $1.3 million in 2019. In addition, ABIR members continue to offer additional training and development opportunities, such as graduate training programs, tuition reimbursement, and leadership training.
In 2022, ABIR member companies employed 58 (+) interns who have invited the opportunity to participate in a structured 5-week program designed by ABIR to compliment the individual member companies' internship programs. The 2022 program included the following activities:
- Interviewing and Networking Breakfast & Learn - The "how to's" of networking."
- Networking Reception
- Professional Headshots - ABIR sponsored professional headshots of which they have full ownership for use on various platforms, for example, LinkedIn and their work bio.
- Panel and Q&A Session - Former interns now working in the industry shared their stories with the interns.
- Intern Only Networking Session
- Project 1 – "A Day in the Life of An Intern" Vlog.
- Project 2 – Environmental Restoration and Renewable Energy Activity - Cleaning up on land and sea at Ferry Reach, Bermuda.
The pandemic has brought about a significant change in the insurance sector, and there will be new global opportunities for aspiring young people. An insurance career is a good choice for millennials as they possess many of the qualities that recruiters in the insurance industry are looking for, such as an affinity for teamwork and problem-solving skills.
There is a wealth of opportunities in the reinsurance industry in Bermuda for students pursuing higher education in the following areas:
If you see your favorite school subject on this list, challenge yourself to prepare for one of the many careers in the insurance and reinsurance world, and be one of the industry’s new, up-and-coming professionals.
You can make a start by browsing our fact sheet, discovering jobs that suit you, and learning more about the post-secondary paths to an exciting future in a successful and respected industry, in Bermuda and internationally.