Internships Opportunities with ABIR Members:
- AIG: Closing date: April 8, 2022
- Ascot: Closing date: April 29, 2022
- Ariel Re: Closing date: March 25, 2022
- Aspen: Closing date: March 21, 2022
- Chubb: Closing date: September 30, 2022 (Internship Opportunity is for June-August 2023)
- Convex: Closing date: February 23, 2022
- Hamilton Insurance Group: Closing date: March 11, 2022
- Hannover Re: Closing date: December 29, 2021
- Renaissance Re: Closing date: February 28, 2022
- Validus Re: Closing date: April 8, 2022
- Hiscox Re & ILS: Closing date: May 18, 2022
If you have any questions, please email Lynesha.Lightbourne@abir.bm
Education and Training
ABIR looks for opportunities to educate students, future employees, policymakers and others about our industry and the contributions that insurance and reinsurance make to both the local and global economy.
In 2020, ABIR partnered with Bermuda College and St. John’s University, Maurice R. Greenberg School of Risk Management, Insurance & Actuarial Science to develop diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives to recruit the next generation of re/insurance leaders in Bermuda. Initiatives from the partnership include:
- A foundational re/insurance course at Bermuda College underwritten by ABIR. The course launched Spring 2021, with ABIR member executives, industry stakeholders and government leaders as guest lecturers. The course is open to Bermuda College students, local high school students, and the local community.
- Summer internship opportunities at Bermuda’s leading insurers and reinsurers.
- ABIR scholars’ educational opportunity for high-performing Bermudian students to complete their education in risk-management at St. John’s University. The re/insurers will assist students financially with scholarships to ensure any gaps in financial needs are met to fulfill their education before returning to Bermuda to work at ABIR companies.
ABIR members are committed to investing in the training and development of a vibrant, local workforce in Bermuda. Along with the internships, educational scholarships in Bermuda by ABIR members totaled over $1.3 million in 2019. ABIR members continue to offer additional training and development opportunities, such as graduate training programs, tuition reimbursement and leadership training.
The pandemic has brought about a big change in the insurance sector and there will be new global opportunities for aspiring young people. An insurance career is a good choice for millennials as they possess many of the qualities that recruiters in the insurance industry are looking for, such as an affinity for teamwork and problem-solving skills.
There is a wealth of opportunities in the reinsurance industry in Bermuda for students pursuing higher education in the following areas:
If you see your favorite school subject on this list, challenge yourself to prepare for one of the many careers in the insurance and reinsurance world, and be one of the industry’s new, up-and-coming professionals.
You can make a start by browsing our fact sheet, discovering jobs that suit you, and learning more about the post-secondary paths to an exciting future in a successful and respected industry, in Bermuda and internationally.